Touch of light: L'Oreal Paris Lumi Magique vs YSL Touche Eclat.

Okay so, I have owned Yves Saint Laurent's cult Touche Eclat Highlighter Pen in the past but it has been left out of my makeup collection for a couple of years now, not because I don't like it (I love it.) it's more that I have become more aware of alternative highlighters and have been testing the waters with those. The price tag of the Touch Eclat is, after all, not very purse friendly.

The other day, I came across a new L'Oreal Paris product which immediately made me think "rip-off". It's the Lumi Magique Stylo Touche De Lumiere pen and it's pretty much the same idea, just cheaper. Intrigued by this I picked it up and having tried it out for a day or two I feel confident to make a judgement on it.

Packaging
Although this is not really that important i'm sure most of you, like me, want the product to look nice as well as work well. The YSL contender feel luxurious, is far heavier than the L'Oreal alternative and I prefer that it has a button to dispense the product rather than the twist bottom that the Lumi Magique has. The twist up mechanism always seems to be more time consuming and for some reason, dispenses more product that necessary. I also really dislike the feel of the L'Oreal product. It's lightweight and entirely plastic, the white writing and detailing on the rose gold makes it look even cheaper. One thing I do like about the L'Oreal product is that it's rose gold rather than just normal gold, but that's just a personally colour preference, nothing particularly bad.

Price
The YSL Touche Eclat run's at around £25 from most retailers, not the cheapest highlighter on the market. Having said that it does come in a huge variety of colours, 10 to be precise, with ranges for yellow, rose or neutral undertones. This forgives the price a little, you're more likely to get the perfect shade with more choice afterall. You get 2.5ml of product also.

The L'Oreal Lumi Magique Stylo Touche De Lumiere has a price point of £8.49 which in my opinion is a little steep for a drugstore highlighter. It comes in Light, Medium and Dark which is expected from a drugstore concealer/highlight really. As for this product, I can't tell you how much exactly you get because it only says 6M and to be honest, I have no idea what that means aha. I'm useless. The package is smaller than the YSL Touche Eclat so I am going to assume you get a little less from this.

Performance
Right, I don't think I really need to tell you how well the YSL Touche Eclat works, its a light coverage light infused illuminator and it does exactly what it says on the tin. I really love this product, if you are expecting it to work as anything more than an under eye brightener however, you should look elsewhere. The coverage is minimal at best. As for the L'Oreal product, I don't really see any brightening feature to this, it works somewhat effectively at concealing my dark circles but I do regret buying this. It has yellow undertones rather than what I would have liked to see - peach/salmon. To put it plainly it is a bad attempt to clone the YSL Touche Eclat and it falls far below the call of duty.


Such a gorgeous visual!

In short, there is a reason the YSL Touche Eclat is an award winning, cult beauty favourite - it's just that good.

Have you tried either of these? What's your take?
Please follow and comment below :)

Seize the Beautiful xo
P.S. If you enjoy the blog, I'd love if you popped over to bloglovin and followed me there. You can keep up with all my posts that way. Just click the button below :)

Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. I used to use the L'Oreal pen and I did like it but I had never tried YSL touche eclat. I bought the Touche Eclat a few weeks ago and the L'Oreal one doesn't come close! Touche Eclat is amazing :) Lovely review! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had bought sie auf diese Weise around id probably have ein bisschen mehr to say on the L'Oreal one, it really isn't that bad as a light concealer, the Touche Eclat is a lot to live up to though! Glad you liked the post :) xo

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete